The time has come for bold and bright to give way to the deep, dark lip colors of fall. Much like red lipstick, women often think they can’t wear a richly pigmented lip, but as long as you know what you’re doing dark lipstick can look remarkably chic.
- prep your lips properly by exfoliating and moisturizing before application. This make the color go on smoother and last longer.
- line your lips with a lip pencil similar in color to your lipstick first. This allows you to establish the boundaries of your lip and the pencil helps hold the color in place.
- clean up mistakes and perfect the edges of your lip line with concealer for a polished finish. Wine colored smears tend to ruin the drama of a dark lip.
- add a little color to the cheeks to brighten up the face.
- pick a shade you love…
- forget to do a teeth check!
- forget about your eyes. Defined brows, clean liner and lots of mascara pair well with dark lips. For eye shadow, choose a light shimmery bronze or taupe to play up the eyes without stealing focus from the lips.
- apply dark lipstick on dry, chapped lips. The color will crack and flake off–not a good look.
- apply it straight from lipstick bullet. Instead, use a lip brush to give you control over the application and intensity.